Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Farewell to CSE from Mrs. Garrett

Ever taken the true colors test? If not, just enter into Google, “free true colors test” and a variety of options will show up. I highly suggest taking it. My colors are mixed. When I took it before I had kids and was not in administration, I was half blue and half gold, no other colors. When I took it again a year or two ago, I was split between blue, gold, and green and orange was my smallest %. They say (and by “they” I mean I heard once that in a study…. No true research-based data for you here) that in times of stress, you revert to your lowest scoring color, but also continually show your “true” color as well. I am proof of said research.

I have been at Valley Ridge Elementary, my new school, 50/50 and haven’t cried a single time since the day I talked to my staff about my move. I love the CSE school, staff, students, and parents, but I haven’t had time or energy to be sad. I even got meaningful thank you notes from people in between this time and teared when reading them, but nothing extreme. I managed to hold it all together. THEN, today happened.

My “true blue” and “true orange”, my 2 extremes, hit me over the past 2 days.

ORANGE- Yesterday, I decided it was a good time to plan for a “jukebox” challenge and allow my husband to record me doing a really bad version of a cool dance so that our staff could join me in recording and enjoying having fun (video to follow at a later date). I was embracing my creative side and thought I was good until I hit school today. People kept asking me how I was doing and I tried to hold it together, telling them I was so good, because I thought I was.  I sat through my son’s kindergarten EOY celebration, beaming with pride, then praised our K-5 students who had 96% or better attendance as they got a Kona Ice Cone. All was good. Then, the end of day hit, I looked at my to-do list and remembered that my “big rock” was to get things packed to take to Valley Ridge tomorrow… In general, I have struggled with identifying my big rocks during this transition, which is a part of the orange coming through. Okay, it is time to pack, said the gold in me…

BLUE- First, I took things off of my wall, starting with my 7 Habit frames. The second I did that my room didn’t feel the same. I cried, then went on. I took down my pictures of my family, which show my children aging throughout my years at CSE from birth to now. I was feeling pretty darn depressed at that point, and happened to find my Christmas reindeer antlers… what better way to get over this than to put on these antlers?!?! Bad idea. People started walking past my office, which is in the middle of the school and either 1) ignoring my antlers (which made my laugh/ cry because they didn’t question it, so us) or 2) stop and ask me, “Rach, you are so funny, why are you wearing antlers???” I would starting telling them I was wearing them to try to to be funny/ happy and then started crying mid-sentence, resulting in dripping tears. Before I knew it, 5-6 of my teachers were hanging out in my office talking about things that they knew would make me laugh, even though we all had way better things to do. A reminder of how much I love my teachers.

I checked Jackson out of ESD early because he could hear and see me moving about and I know he is struggling the same way that I am. I wish I could post a video of him after that. He ran around the school playing with his other teacher friends, offering assistance to teachers (even when it isn’t helpful), requesting to go give his teacher just “one more hug”, giggling while riding on a flatbed, and the list goes on. And the tears hit again while I watched him run around with joy… what a special place that has embraced my child who isn’t always easy and has turned him into a confident leader who can finally interact with other kids and adults and enjoy learning. I have seen a complete 180.

The crying continued as I packed things like (just a few examples)-

1)   2 lighters I found in my top drawer that I confiscated from students over the past few years and the parents didn’t come pick them up, giggled also while remembering the stories (innocent ones, I promise).
2)   Message in a bottle- My 1st year as AP, when I was pregnant and also covering while our principal was on leave, I felt defeated in everything I did, what a hard year! Then I received this glass vase with messages of appreciation from the staff. I have kept them and added to them every since then. It was so great going through these messages. Every person should have one of these!
3)   My antlers- Ms. Loyd said, as she say them, “The new AP better humor me like you do!” Ms. Loyd loves some holiday headgear… I told her she needs to give the new AP some time to acclimate J
4)   Lysol- Upon finding this, I remembered that I used to have 3-4 containers. So many funny and smelly memories came to my mind while thinking about the Lysol, probably non of which are appropriate to share on the internet.

This list goes on of things I found and stories behind them. Not only does it make me so sad to leave CSE, but it makes me eager to start at VRE to start new memories and build more leaders. Together as a Central Zone, how many leaders can we help students find within themselves?  I have seen my own son grow from an anxious, isolated, and off-task child to one who has friends, enjoys adult interaction (most of the time), and can say things like, “Mommy, I am so good at math, let me show you!” I can’t wait to see him grow under other amazing LISD teachers at VRE. While I could be blue and orange right now, my logic tells me, “Get over it Rachel, cry, then realize that relationships last a lifetime and new amazing ones will be created in your new adventures.”

No comments:

Post a Comment